Earl Howe, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Quality, speaks about Self Care Week:
Self Care Week 2014 Communications Information
Self Care Week is an annual national awareness week that focuses on embedding support for self care across communities, families and generations.
This year our theme is ‘Self Care for Life – Be healthy this winter’
For information and ideas on what you and your organisation can do to help support Self Care Week, we have prepared a Communications Information pack:
The Self Care Week 2014 web buttons and banners can be downloaded below:
Self Care Week Button – To save – Right-click over the image and then ‘Save image as…’
Self Care Week Button (without website address) – To save – Right-click over the image and then ‘Save image as…’
Self Care Week Banner (small) – To save – Right-click over the image and then ‘Save image as…’
Self Care Week Banner (large) – To save – Right-click over the image and then ‘Save image as…’
For EPS versions of the above logos that are suitable for printing, please contact Libby Whittaker firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample press releases / news articles / web text
The following documents are available to download and provide sample text that you might like to use in a press release for local media, as an article in your newsletter or other publication, or on your website:
- Sample 1: Don’t be left out in the cold, understand how to look after your winter ailments
- Sample 2: Be prepared this winter –take care of those tiresome winter ailments
Treat Yourself Better poster
This poster has been produced for the ‘Treat Yourself Better with Pharmacist Advice’ campaign. It can be used to remind patients that antibiotics do not help common winter ailments and how long they can expect the symptoms to last for. It promotes the pharmacist as the first port of call for advice on winter ailments.
Click here to download:
Yourself Better with Pharmacist Advice GP Poster Self Care Forum Logo
Winter medicine cabinet poster
The Self Care Forum has produced a medicine cabinet poster to put on display in patient waiting rooms. This explains that winter ailments such as coughs and colds are best treated at home and that antibiotics from the GP aren’t needed.
PDF versions of the poster can be downloaded below which highlights how long the symptoms of common winter ailments should typically last for (middle ear infection: 4 days; sore throat: 1 week; cold: 1.5 weeks; sinusitis: 2.5 weeks; cough: 3 weeks).:
Leaflets, posters and guides
Here is a list of leaflets and posters available to support self care that can be displayed or handed out during Self Care Week.
Unfortunately these are not available as printed copies, however you can download and print off yourself.
- 296717 Help and Advice for living life well with a long term conditions – patient leaflet
- 299425 Do you or your child have a long term condition? – care planning patient leaflet
- MHFSCW09 Self care for minor ailments Haynes manual (for men)
- 403298PT The Pain Toolkit
- 294348 Guide to Pharmacy Services – How to get the most from your local pharmacy
- 279234 Questions to ask: getting the most out of your appointment
- 283706 Appointments – Ask the right questions A4 poster – PDF not available online
- 284395 Does your son or daughter have a long term condition? Getting them vaccinated will protect your child from flu
- 301117 5 A day: what’s it all about – leaflet
- 287551B Information prescriptions: bookmark for healthcare – PDF not available online
- Prescription Pre-Payment Certificate
Other downloadable leaflets:
- PAGB consumer leaflets on colds and flu, pain and allergy
- New patient leaflet for 2012: supporting your independence and wellbeing with telehealth and telecare
- Medicine Cabinet poster
- Self Care Forum fact sheets
- Materials to support Antibiotic Awareness Day in England (Whilst this link takes you to the 2011 Antibiotics Awareness Day campaign material with posters and leaflets, these are not dated and so are still relevant to use.)
- Home care is best poster
- RCGP TARGET antibiotics resources
- Make the right call – Helping you look after yourself this winter
- When should I worry-Booklet_England-with 111 service
Helpful website links:
- Change your life with art: Keeping well in mind and body is something we all aspire to.
This resource shows you new ways to approach wellbeing, through learning to harness your natural creativity.
- NHS Choices – Self Care Week
- Interactive self care learning resource from skills for care
New interactive self care learning resource helps social care staff to promote independence.
- NHS Choices – About health costs
Ways of helping patients with their health costs.
- Department of Health website